Direct Links To Each City Report

Lhasa

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Day 9 (2/2) - Last Night In Lhasha

This being our last night in Lhasa, I wanted to take some night pictures in front of Potala palace. We first headed to Lhasa Kitchen close by Jokhang Temple to grab dinner. Lhasa Kitchen was mentioned in quite a few books and travel sites.


We got to the restaurant when there were still sunlight, but as food took awhile, I got anxious and took a rickshaw to Potala palace hoping to catching sunset picture. I was told the trip would cost 3 RMB, thought it turned out to be 5 - perhaps Tibetan speaking price versus Mandarin speaking price, English probably costs even more...

The ride was more entertaining than the photo suggested - the driver did not stop for anything, red light included. I suppose the cars in Lhasa knew how to deal with the rickshaws, or so I hoped. Unfortunately, the cloud did not cooperate and I did not get my Potala palace at sunset picture.

I headed back for my food in Lhasa Kitchen. I ordered a yak dumpling. It tasted like beef with slightly tougher texture. However, since Levi reminded me of the cute yaks we saw on our way to Namtso Lake, I did not have the heart to finish the dish.

Lhasa Kitchen appeared to be popular with foreigners. We saw quite a few dined there. The menu was in English and the waiters had command of English. We were not impressed with the food here, and the bill was on the expensive side. On a side note, Lhasa beer was very light!



After dinner, we headed over to Potala palace. It was completely dark by now. The night view gave a different feeling than during the day, certainly worth the extra trip. I finally had a chance to use the tripod. It was a Sunday night, there were moderate number of people in the open area in front of Potala.


Lion statue in front of Potala


Another view of Potala at night


Open area in front of Potala Palace at night



No comments: